Do you think it may be more of a case of there being more opportunities for higher ability children than there were, meaning that those with the means are more able to have their kids identified and educated appropriately than was possible in 1962? This would mean that there are more of the higher achievers now than there were, but that they are still the richest kids out there? It seems that there is probably more pressure on wealthier families to have 'gifted' children so that they can keep up with the Joneses at the club.

Personally I find it very frustrating that I can't get the appropriate public education for my child, we are probably considered to be middle class and as with healthcare, it's up to us to either find money we don't have or have our kids go without. I realize that there are a lot of folks out there with considerably less than us, and I feel guilty sometimes complaining, because we do at least have an adequate public school. My kids will not be trying to choose between bullets and babies. But why does OK have to be enough?