Geez, sure you're not talking about me or my eg/pg DS6???

Tuesday, I wrote a letter saying I wanted to withdraw my eg/pg son from his private gifted school due to his social/emotional needs being unfulfilled and increasing frustration and depression. Yes, I see the lost of enthusiasm and sparkle too. Yes, he doesn't want to go to school most days either.

My son's school/teachers responded to my letter by discouraging me from withdrawing my son from the school and told me that if we did withdraw him that we would still be liable for the remainder of the tuition, which really pissed me off.

Yesterday I wrote another letter to the school saying that we would try to keep eg/pg DS6 in kindergarten for the remainder of the year, but that we may have to withdraw him if his emotional/social needs deteriorates.

Here's an SENG article on what can happen if there's a mismatch.
http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...octor-fit-in-the-care-of-gifted-children

Last year, my son had the physical and emotional psychosomatic conditions from being in an appropriate setting - so this isn't bunk.

This year we're in a similar situation with the math. Last year, my son was in pre-k and was doing addition, subtraction, and started to multiply visually at his other school; in fact last year the teacher was going to put him in the 2nd/3rd grade class for math until the headmaster flatly refuse to accelerate a pre-k by so many grades or accommodate a eg/pg. This year, the school refuses to let my DS6 move on from addition or do subtraction or multiplication or anything else until he masters the timed math tests! The teachers are taking a very traditional approach to math and really destroying my son's passion and love for the subject, which is heartbreaking. He definitely won't be returning next year; I'm just trying to keep him there until the end of the year.

What to do???
1. Write rather than verbalise! Put everything in writing, then you've got a paper/digital trail and documentation. Say you've noticed and are concerned about your son's level of frustration/depression/social-emotional needs/etc. Ask how the school might be able to help your son at school and at home to reduce it.
2. Supplement at home and see if it helps or changes the situation.
3. Get the real work promised. Yea, em, trying that myself with the math. See how much the school/teachers are flexible or willing to budge. If they're still stuck in the mud, see #2 or #4.
4. Homeschool.