Originally Posted by kikiandkyle
My biggest worry is that she'll end up like me, I was also very bright in school but nobody ever stepped in to help me develop any learning skills because I always did very well in exams, and by the time I had to go to college I couldn't handle the work.

That was my experience and my motivation for trying to advocate for my son as well.
I recommend to visit a classroom at the school in questions and look and see what they are doing. Also how the kids treat each other and how the teacher treats the kids. Some gifted private schools are wonderful, some are wonderful for particular kids. It depends on the child's personality and also 'level of giftedness' - saying gifted can mean anything from 'top 10%' to 'top .01%' depending on who is talking. And most gifted kids are 'more outstanding' in one or two areas of interest, rather than across all areas.

I agree that somehow she has to learn to compensate for her tendency to not follow along in a classroom. If it were my kid, I'd rather this learning happen before high school when the grades actually count for something.

Post those test results (anonymously of course) once you get the report back, we'll help you sort of if she is gifted or GIFted, and how likely it is that the local gifted school will work for her.

But make the appointment to go observe some classrooms ASAP. (Stuff your ears with cotton when the admissions team talks, they exist to sell the school and know almost nothing about what goes on inside the classroom.) Believe what you observe with your own eyes and ears. What kinds of books are on the classroom library shelf? How does the teacher maintain a good working atmousphere? How does the teacher treat the akward kids? Is the lesson interesting? What kinds of textbooks are being used - are additional materials added? What's the level of classroom discussion? Any Socratic Method?

Make sense?
Welcome!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com