Jen, you've already received great advice. I agree that the best thing to do is have a clear picture in your own mind of what you want to achieve for your ds, but don't go in announcing the solution to everyone - you need to work together as a team to come up with a solution. While you're working as a team, stick to your guns and don't give up where you're not willing to compromise, but also keep an open mind.

"There are certain assignments he just refuses to do, and frankly i understand. They are insultingly unchallenging and unindpiring. I know that the classroom that he will be going into in fourth grade is absolutely wonderful. The teacher is fabulous and will be perfect for him. So I'm going in today to ask that they move him now to the fourth grade rather than waiting until next school year."

I totally get that the assignments feel insulting, but I wouldn't use those exact words; instead tell the school staff that he is not being exposed to new material, he is having to repeat material he's already mastered, etc.

I also would be careful to not say something that makes it sound like you're advocating for the move because the 4th grade teacher is a better teacher than the 3rd grade teacher - even if it's true. Focus on the curriculum needs of your ds instead.

"They see him as immature, and he can be. However, he is the kid that models what is going on around him. The thing is, if he is required to behave mire maturely, he will rise to the challenge"

Grinity mentioned the added growth in executive function that comes later on around middle school age for many kids; I'll mention an aspect of maturity that you might not have been thinking of (and maybe doesn't matter for your ds but fwiw a few of my friends who've accelerated their children plus a few of my friends who've had typical kids in mixed-grade classrooms have had concerns about as their kids have gone into 4/5th grade with older kids as peers - puberty, plus outside of school activities that the older kids are starting to take part in. Just something to consider - it's something that the friends I've mentioned have been a little surprised by and also weren't entirely comfortable having their children exposed to.

Good luck today!

polarbear