Jen, I wish I knew what advise to give you. I have been lucky enough to work with administrators and teachers that have gone above and beyond for my DS10. I have never asked for grade acceleration, so I'm not sure how willing they would be to try that if I asked. Something tells me they would be very opposed. What they have done, however, is curriculum compacting, which is working quite well. Of course, we've only been doing it a few weeks, but he is like a new kid! In my meetings with school, I notice that they really respond to comments I make about DS starting not to like school and how that dislike of school concerns me about the future. I never approach it from a "my kid is so smart" point of view. I always approach it from a "I want my kid to love school" point of view.

Also, something that I think helps tremendously with my ability to communicate with our administrators is the fact that I made a point last year to volunteer at school. I'm not talking PTA kind of stuff. I emailed the principal and asked if there was anyway I could help in the classroom. I started going once a week for about 30 minutes to work with kids that were behind in math on drilling their multiplication tables. I also started helping 30 minutes a week in DS's classroom during independent reading time. The teacher would have the struggling readers read out loud to me and it freed her up to work with others in the class. I think the fact that I'm helping the school makes them more willing to help me.