Hello everyone~ I found this board doing some research and would love some opinions on my first grade sons MAP Scores. I am concerned because he has shown little growth this year, even negative growth in math, and I am wondering if this indicates a poor educational fit or could be a clue to a possible LD. I am not sure I see any red flags for a LD but I realize some problems are not real clear yet at this age.

Last year he had a wonderful teacher who really challenged him in reading which I think is the reason he grew so much during the year in that area. She said he was a couple of years ahead in math though and therefore not exposed to anything new hence the lack of growth. My attempt to advocate for math enrichment this year with his teacher has fallen on deaf years and again I see him stagnating. I have resisted putting him in any after school programs as I really want his free time to be enjoyed doing sports and fun activities. Now I am concerned though that he does not seem to be progressing. Here are his scores:

Kindergarten
Math: Fall-184, Winter-192, Spring-192
Reading: Fall-167, Spring-185, Winter-196

First
Math: Fall-208, Winter-206
Reading: Fall-195, Winter-199

Oh and he was tested for the GT pullout program last year due to teacher recommendation. He scored 136 on the NNAT but his CoGat scores were under the 132 cut off mark with an overall score in the low 120's hence he did not get selected. His teacher this year said she has had thoughts that he is gifted but is not necessarily seeing it in the work he is producing i.e. pictures he draws, etc.

I would love any insight into these scores and suggestions regarding any steps I should take to keep him progressing. Should I consider outside testing to figure out if any issues are at hand or if I need to make some educational changes? I am really just not sure what to do.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!