I'm not really looking for advice, just had no where else to mention it. DD, just 6, has been spending time at a holiday program. Normally she does a holiday program for gifted kids, but for various reasons these holidays (it's our long summer holidays here) she has been attending a garden variety program a couple of days a week.

Each day when I pick her up I find she has spent the day playing with the grade 5 and 6 kids there (public schools here a K-6 and 7-12 as a rule). They're different kids each day because, like dd, not every one attends every day.

I find this wonderful on the one hand, and extraordinarily sad on the other. As the school year here finished I was left wondering how gifted dd actually was. She did well at school but they were telling me she was in the right placement, grade skipped one year. I was not so sure, but certainly her school work showed this to be the case. I thought maybe we'd have a quiet year ahead. However, over these holidays she has been devouring adult non-fiction, picked up some grade 5 maths questions that she found so easy they were 'boring' and, now, is choosing to spend her time with kids 5 or more years older than she is, who seem to be accepting of her. So perhaps it wont be such a quiet year after all.

Last edited by Giftodd; 01/12/12 03:07 AM.

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke