Originally Posted by Catalana
Can some one tell me about the accommodations, location, and whether any younger siblings were present? I am considering it seriously, but it would be our family vacation as well. Add that to the cost and I would want to be sure it is a good fit for my son and our family.

DS9 (will be 10 by camp) is in 4th in public school. He goes up to 7th grade honors level math (in our district it is pre-algebra and beginning algebra). He is still getting an A+, but is now seeing new material, so is generally happy (and has a fantastic teacher). He doesn't have a problem meeting Epsilon's eligibility requirements. He has no problem paying attention (as long as he is interested) and has no behavior problems - gets along fine with the older kids as well as kids his age.

On the other hand, while he does loves math (devours Life of Fred and Murderous Maths books and does Alcumus for fun), he doesn't live and breath it either -- he has a lot of other interests as well - including some deep interests in science (and Minecraft wink ). He likes learning new things, but also likes his down time. Also, since he is in school all day, I try to encourage him to do non-academic things when he is out of school - sports, games, art, etc. to the extent he wishes.

Hmmm...

I think most of the kids at camp have a lot of other interests, too. But, like Nan said above, it is all day of sitting in a college lecture hall. The breaks are pretty short: the kids would play a little soccer, throw paper airplanes around, play chess, or read during them. They eat lunch and dinner together. After dinner there are "office hours" where there is more math. Electronic games/computers (ie: minecraft) are prohibited even in the dorm during free time (what little free time there is.)

We went expecting to make it a family vacation, too, but didn't have time for anything other than camp. This year, the in between weekend will be open, so we plan to go to Rocky Mountain Natl Park for the weekend...we had tried driving there for a day trip last summer and it was too much from Colo Spgs.

We do not have a second child, but the people who did utilized the day care so that a parent could attend the parent classes.

If you have other questions, let me know! Kate