We have had extremely severe problems in the past with ds, now 11, where social fit and academic fit were issues, leading to a serious sense of isolation and finally depression. We kept plugging along asking each year for something different for him, hoping middle school would be a better fit, have more options, etc.
Finally this last week after seeing things wind up about like usual, ds stressing, I'm laying awake at night running through possible parent-teacher-principal conversations in my head, etc., etc., we have decided to home school. Really I was on board with this last year, but wanted to give one more try, as did ds. He has been enjoying one part of school, riding on the bus with one of his best friends. He agreed the other day since he's been coming home feeling horrible nearly every day the last few weeks, that it would be worth trying the homeschool.
Thank goodness. Hopefully we won't drive each other insane.

It's almost ridiculous, actually, the one class where he's always had A's (always) and where I even went so far as to explain to the teacher how ds has felt isolated in the past and disappointed with the lack of challenge, was the worst class.
It's almost like the teacher took this information and decided to single ds out for 'negative reinforcement' of whatever the h*ll she was trying to have them 'learn'.

Sorry more of a vent than any real advice, but I do feel for you, and your dd. Best of luck with the teacher/cooperation!

On the other hand, maybe I do have some advice. Last year when we were churning through another suckish year...I asked the school to quit entirely giving him 'math fact' sheets, which they did, thankfully. And I signed him up for beginning algebra on the epgy site. I had known from trying epgy earlier that the regular math around his grade level were not for him...I would state unequivocally that this increased his self esteem and his own sense of math ability enormously. Instead of saying he hated math, he feels very confident about math. We will be moving forward with more algebra and geometry this year.

Last edited by chris1234; 11/24/11 05:38 AM.