So happy that I read this read today. Your question and my response upthread came in very handy this afternoon during teacher conferences.

Classroom teacher (who we LOVE) has been saying that dd needs differentiated instruction in math as well as in reading and writing. We thought this made no sense because of how well she tested in that area. Today she said that dd "hasn't hit any of her benchmarks in math." Thought that was odd and asked a few more questions. Turns out all the 1st grade addition work is being done with manipulatives, sorting and drawing. On the test she was just given numbers to add. I pointed out to the spec ed teacher that it seems dd is being tested on her visual perception and fine motor areas rather than being able to accurately demonstrate her math knowledge. We pulled out her testing from July and she scored higher then than they are recording now. I used your example of your dd's reading disability causing her to fail math tests and presented it as the same thing. Bingo! Looks like we are getting her math instruction modified right after the Thanksgiving holiday!

Thank you forum (and Kathleen'sMum especially!)