My son tested gifted on parts of his test, missed it by a few points on others and showed gaps which we expected since he has dysgraphia.

I tried to get him placed in gifted in 5th grade but am not sure I would again if I could go back and do it over. Because of being 2e, he is struggling right now just to adapt to the faster chaos of changing classes, dealing with multiple teachers and a larger homework load now that he's in mid school. If he gets to the place he is bored and not feeling challenged, I'll push it again. For now, the special ed accommodations are giving him the options for creativity that go to meet some of the gifted needs and limit the busywork inherent to regular ed classrooms.

So this only applies to my own experience with my own child, but my thoughts would be to focus on services, accommodations, etc. to help him gain new tools to deal with the challenges of being in a class first and then push for gifted classification if he needs the additional mental stimulation. My son's teachers did that without the classification, so the legal part hasn't really mattered yet.

All the best - it's a challenge, but it's also a wonderful road you're traveling as a parent of a 2e child.