Originally Posted by sher
Hi~
I am not even sure if he would qualify as gifted, but his WISC scores were described as "gifted" for the first portions (Verbal and Perceptual) and low for working memory and processing speed (which was in something like the 5th percentile.)
There is no standard universal definition of gifted, so it means what ever you and who you are trying to communicate can agree on. To me, the 'first portions' of the WISC address intellectual giftedness, and the working mem and processing speed talk about support functions. A less informed person might think that gifted=quick responses and have a different idea, but as you can see, I disagree. If you can, start using the language of 'my child is gifted and has learning challenges' at least in your mind.

Then only way to see if a school option is worth persuing is to sit in and observe a classroom in action. It would be nice if you could get to meet the parents of the kids in the gifted program because those kids might be good for playdates, or know of afterschool fun that would be fun for your son.

Welcome - so glad you spoke up!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com