Originally Posted by lilswee
My favorite was when they told me that my kid needed to not accelerate because they don't learn thousands until third grade....

I have so many of these quotes that you just never forget because they are so absurd!

FWIW, I'll throw one out there that has nothing to do with curriculum or giftedness - one of my dd's has life-threatening food allergies. We were having a meeting with the school nurse and vice principal prior to the start of 1st grade to discuss classroom concerns (the teacher wanted to cook inside the classroom and our dd has had anaphylactic reactions to airborne wheat/corn). The school VP was notorious for not wanting to make any accommodations of any kind for our dd, and when we brought up the issue with airborne wheat/corn, she told us (this is a direct quote) that "We can't do anything unless your child has actually has experienced an anaphylactic reaction in the classroom." So we pointed out that people with allergies are told specifically to avoid triggers for anaphylactic reactions in order to avoid the high risk of *death* from the reactions... to which the VP replied (with a smile on her face), "Well, if she has an anaphylactic reaction in the classroom and dies, then we could give her a 504 with an accommodation."

Sorry to wander off-topic!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 11/18/11 01:44 PM.