Originally Posted by Deonne
the neuropsych believes that the physical act of writing is extremely tedious for him (did I mention that his VCI is 42 points higher than his PSI).

Did the neuropsych do any further testing to determine why the large discrepancy in VCI vs PSI? Just to be clear, I'm guessing PSI = Processing Speed Index here? The reason I ask is that my ds has a similar magnitude discrepancy and has a diagnosis of Developmental Coordination DIsorder, with one of the primary impacts of his DCD being a neurologic fine motor disability impacting his ability to use handwriting. He was first diagnosed at age 8, when he was referred for neurospych testing because his classroom teacher was convinced he had ADHD. His neuropsych testing also included a diagnosis of mild inattentive ADHD, but as he matured and as we worked through getting accommodations for handwriting and organization at school it eventually became clear that he really didn't have ADHD - the symptoms that we were attributing to ADHD were actually related to DCD and also to giftedness. It helped me to read through the book that is titled something like "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Highly Gifted Children" (sorry I can't remember the exact title - but there is a list in this book describing characteristics due to ADHD vs characteristics observed in kids with high IQ). We also went through an ADHD eval with our pediatrician to follow up on the neurospcyh eval and ds didn't meet the criteria set by the ped's office for a medical diagnosis of ADHD.

Anyway, this might not apply to your dd, but much of what you describe in terms of writing and organizational challenges are very similar to challenges my ds has. If your ds has ADHD, then meds are probably worth a try - I'd just fwiw want a little more info first re why the PSI index is so signficantly lower than the VIQ.

I'd also add one note about proficiency at keyboarding - did you ask the teacher to define "when he is proficient" - does she have a specific target goal? In our school district, for children who are neurotypical, "proficient" at keyboarding after a certain grade level/age is defined as "can type faster than they can write"... so fwiw, your ds might already be proficient.

Best wishes,

polarbear