I just typed out a long reply and thought I hit submit but it disappeared into the ether (I think!). I don't have time to retype it but here's the condensed version - I have three children, two of which had behavior challenges in early elementary (K-2). The one that didn't have behavioral challenges is moderately gifted, tests even across the board in everything and has not a worry in the world. My oldest ds is the kind of kid who once he started talking it was clear he was something else in terms of intelligence, and my youngest dd hasn't been tested yet but we (and everyone else in her life, including her teachers) suspect she's at least highly gifted. My ds fell apart in early elementary, was suspected of having ADHD, but we ultimately learned through neuropscyh testing that he has a disability which was at the root of his behaviors. Once we understood what was causing the behaviors we were able to make accommodations and put together a learning plan that addressed both his strengths and his challenges and the behavior issues disappeared. My youngest dd is also suspected of having a learning disability and we're in the process of trying to understand what's up via testing. In spite of that, she's still an extremely high-achieving kid.

So - I don't want to worry you that your ds might have an LD - chances are he doesn't and he's just exhibiting behaviors that are due to not being challenged etc. - but I also wanted to mention it because LDs in gifted kids are sometimes masked by behavior challenges that are related to the child's having to cope with an undiagnosed LD, and seeing an LD in a gifted child can be complicated.

Best wishes,

polarbear