Originally Posted by kimck
Annemarie - is it possible for you to sit in on a first grade class or talk to one of the teachers for next year just to see what the usual routine is?

I have a son in 1st grade. There are several children in his class who are working 1 to 2 years ahead of grade level who I'd say are quite happy and challenged. They get a third grade spelling list, a 2nd grade math packet, and individualized reading material. I would ask your husband to reasses her towards the end of the summer. If she is fluently reading chapter books independantly (around 4th grade level on up), this is where being in first grade becomes really quite painful IMHO and you may want to talk to your school administration or look at plan B.

Just take it a few months at a time. We are looking at homeschooling right now, which a year ago I wouldn't have dreamed of doing. It all depends on how things play out and it takes some patience to let it sort itself out! Take care!

I asked about sitting in on a first grade class, but didn't really get a straight answer, unfortunately. The principal did tell me which curriculum they are using, and she said that all of her teachers are very good at customizing the curriculum to fit the needs of each child. But honestly, what else would she say? smile

With regard to her reading level, she's able to read some chapter books independently (Junie B. Jones books are her favorites), but she's a snuggler and prefers to have one or the other of us snuggling with her if at all possible. smile We don't usually have to help or prompt her much, though. My concern about first grade is that the curriculum centers around phonics, and I just can't see her spending another year learning "a says ah", at this point. I can tell we've been talking about her reading abilities too much among ourselves lately, though, because she's started to not want to read, and to act embarrassed about her reading ability. frown

I wonder if she's a little slower socially because of her age, too. That's actually the only thing that concerns me about her skipping. I have absolutely no doubt that she would thrive academically, but I don't know how it would pan out socially.

Anyway, thank you all for your detailed and thoughtful responses! I think I have a lot to think about and research, and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction! smile