Originally Posted by bbq797
I called him yesterday to discuss the situation and I had a very awkward conversation w/his wife who informed me that he passed away last month. : ( (he was in I'd say about his 70's, 80's around there)

Sooo....if we were to have further testing, I would now have to find someone else who, as you say, has experience w/gifted kids.

Oh, we found him by calling the gifted school in our area--they recommend psychologists for testing (to meet their entrance criteria). Unfortunately, that school runs about $15,000/yr in tuition; so, that's not an option.

I'd be curious to hear what you decide to do next. I will take a look at the article again -- thanks

Lots to digest here.

First, was the Psych part of a practice and can you get transferred to a new one?

Second, I am not sure where you live, but the Tier 1 privates in my area have a tuition assistance program that supports lower income families so exceptional kids can attend a school that meets their needs. A number get almost a 100% ride. I'd get a list of all the privates in your area, find the ones with the highest number of national merit finalists, and apply. I think once they see the tests that you have, the doors will open. You might be able to get in now or after the winter break and start with a skip to 1st or 2nd. I've seen it happen here.

Next, if the above has not worked out - and it might not - given that this school has not done an acceleration, you may be better off finding a school that has. I'd contact the new psych and ask him or her about the schools in the area and who might be able to help.

Another option is to move into a district that has a good public program. A number will tell you if your child will meet the cutoff and then you can move in with the assurance that his needs will be met.

II think the best analogy I have heard on this situation is akin to a fishing boat. The crew is fishing for herring and one day they get a king salmon. They just throw the salmon back or let it die on the deck because they are in the business of catching herring. That is most public schools.

Last edited by Austin; 10/28/11 12:13 PM.