Hi san clemente,

I know just how you feel. We've been through this too. I will say, however, that I agree with MON that the schools staff would be put on the defensive if you sent that correspondence. If it were me, I would start by saying that you re-read your email and that you're sorry that it sounded so harsh, but that you're really emotional about this topic and were just trying to get all the information to the school.

Some emotions work sometimes too - e.g., when I mentioned that my child begged me every morning to stay home, and that he didn't like kindergarten, that struck a chord with the kindy teacher, who thought he was perfectly happy. It turns out I have a super duper teacher pleaser, who would never want to stand out or make waves in the classroom, and so is a perfect angel at school. He saved his complaints for us at home.

Schools are very busy the early part of the year, and there often isn't time for extra testing of advanced kids. That said, I think now that you've put the school on notice of your request, hopefully they will either tell you when they plan to test, or why.

The Iowa Acceleration Scale is a great tool, giving objective scores to many differnt factors. If the school is willing to try this, I'd say go for it. If you are financially able, i'd recommend offering to buy this for the school if the district doesn't have access to it or the forms.

My best experiences in advocacy came when the parents and staff worked as a team. That is, I didn't go in demanding things, I asked what the school staff thought mighgt be best, while giving some of my own ideas.

Good luck!