Originally Posted by san clemente
Every child deserves to be challenged at their current level via appropriate public education. Chronological age/level alone can not fairly dictate a child's academic and social achievement/ability and grade placement.

Very well said, I think that's your argument right there. Just curious, have you had any testing done already? Also, why do they feel she's not ready? Is it academic or social/emotional?

Also, have you heard of A Nation Deceived? You might want to take a look b/f your meeting tomorrow. Here's the link: A Nation Deceived They provide lots of info regarding acceleration.

I'm in pretty much in the same boat w/my son except he's acting out socially. They say that it's interfering in his learning (umm..counting to five, isn't exactly learning) and they are hesitant to discuss any form of acceleration b/c of his behavior. (if he behaves this way in K, how can he possibly handle 1st etc). So, I'm curious what the concern is regarding not allowing your daughter to accelerate. We too, have a mtg. on Fri w/Principal.

It sounds like your covering all the bases and doing the right things. It's hard not to get emotional especially since these are educators who just don't get it. The only thing I could suggest is to arm yourself w/the law (what does the law of CA mandate as far as gifted students?) and information (take a look at the website). Try to anticipate what their resistance to acceleration might be and think of counterarguments ahead of time. Also, you know your own daughter and what is right for her.

Good Luck!

I'd be curious to hear of the outcome!