I agree with many of the other posters. I agree you should get your child tested if you suspect a problem. It will be good for you to know what is going on. At the same time, be cautioned that a stealth dyslexia type diagnosis may not get you very far with school.

Our experience is similar to many here. I noticed many of the omissions and reading errors that you mentioned. DD technically was at grade level in kindergarten and first grade. With the exception of one subsection one of the many times that she had DIBELS screening, she always tested as proficient or advanced. She entered a GT classroom in 1st grade based on CoGat and NNAT tests administered by the school district. I was told that she had nonverbal and quantitative strength areas and was high average verbally. My gut didn't buy it.

She struggled through 1st grade. I dubbed it the year of tears. Weekly spelling packets became a major battle ground. In fact, any writing became a huge fight. School still held that nothing was amiss. She was at or above grade-level in everything and still appropriate for a gt classroom.

We paid for private IQ and achievement testing after first grade. WISC-IV came back as highly gifted with no areas of concern, subsection scores ranged from 97th to 99.9th percentile. Based on IQ, the tester indicated that she should be a couple years ahead in school. WJ-III scores were a different story -- broad math was high, broad reading was very, very average and her spelling subtest came in at the 3rd percentile. The educational psychologist included some other screener for dyslexia. She concluded that DD was dyslexic and dysgraphic. We paid for further testing through Lindamood Bell to try and nail down the specific areas of concern. The results were scattered all over the board, including higher comprehension scores on some of the more difficult passages. The tester had no experience with 2e kids and did not understand DD at all. She theorized that DD had higher comprehension on the ones that were more interesting(?) Most of DDs reading scores hovered around the 50th percentile so the salesperson asked me why we were there.

School hasn't completely bought the dyslexia argument and they say many gt kids have writing issues because "they taught themselves to write so early." I have managed to get her a 504 that gives her more time and access to assistive tech. I don't know how long I will be able to keep these accommodations.