My DS7 is in the 3rd grade also and he moved to a new school this year for a self contained HG program. We had him assessed with the WISC to apply to the program and he is above the 99.9% GAI so he is where he needs to be academically. He has struggled with behavior in the past two years at school (he was mid year grade skipped last year) but has consistently scored very high on achievement/ability tests. We were hopeful that a better academic fit would be the answer to his behavior issues but we got an email from his teacher about a month ago expressing behavior concerns.

He is currently undergoing a full neuropsych evaluation which has consisted of a classroom visit by the psychologist, about 4 hours of one on one assessments by the psychologist, extensive questionnaires filled out by both his teacher and us. After that is all done, the psychologist with write the report/recommendations and meet with us to discuss it.

Although I never thought of ADD before, I would not be surprised if he has the disorder and has just been able to mask it because everything was always so easy for him. This is the first time that he has had to actually concentrate and put in some effort (especially with writing). He has always been a highly intense and spirited child. Plus, there is a family history of ADD. I am kind of at the beginning of my gifted/possible ADD journey but we should know more in a few weeks.