Thanks for your concern ColinsMum, but as I indicated, my knowledge is limited in respect to the genetic impact on intelligence, which was not the focus of your post.

We have numerous people in this thread proclaiming that very high intelligence is normal for their families, and even that they expected their children would probably be gifted before their children even displayed any gifted traits. Of this group of parents with high expectations for their children, we mostly have posters from the group that turned out to be right, because of the nature of this forum. The ones who turned out to be wrong aren't posting here, but we should at least acknowledge that they might exist, and accept that these high expectations may be unreasonable.

All measurement error aside, it seems to me that a family of Danes who have been exceptionally tall by Danish standards for a couple generations shouldn't hang their hopes on having a child that is equally exceptional in height. I believe it is still more likely that the child ends up with a gene combination resulting in less exceptional height than his/her parents and grandparents, because the particular gene combinations that made the parents and grandparents so tall are unlikely to be repeated in the subsequent generation.