Originally Posted by morgans-mommy
In addition he thinks the huge gap between her verbal and performance scores,131 vs 108, as well as her low processing score, 10, is largely due to the ADHD. He said that kids with ADHD generally have difficulty with the timed portions of the test and obviously that lowers the performance score. Again, he thinks that if we re-did the test once she is on medication and has some coping strategies to deal with the ADHD her scores, espcially the performance score, would be higher. Is this all true? It makes sense to me, but I'm trying to figure out why I've never heard these things before? Is this all widely known information and I've just had my head in the sand?
I don't think this info is widely known amoung parents - IQ scores are super-confusing! Even to teachers and school folks. So don't feel like you've been lax. I think her Verbal may squirt up with WISC and that it's GAI might paint a more dramatic picture of her gifted side. (I wouldn't RE-test on WPPSI, that's for sure!)

Good for you for seeking help for your DD. I hope the rest of everything goes smoothly.

Try not to judge too harshly the tester for giving the WPPSI instead of waiting and giving the WISC - it only matters for less than 2% of the population, so how was he/she to know in advance. Here what happened to you is a fairly common occurance, but that's here - not a heterogeneous group in that particular regard.

So the next question is - beyond the inattentive/impulsive/hyperactive challenges - how is school going? Is she learning anything? Is it fun for her? Are there any provisions for gifted kids?

Kids with ADHD particularly need educationally stimulating environments to help them maintain their focus where the teacher wants it maintained. See what I mean?

Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com