I am so sorry to hear this Kate. I am sure it is upsetting for all of you and for many reasons - especially the bullying. I am glad that the punishment was only detention. Many schools have a zero tolerance policy for physical incidents and suspend kids in these situations.

In my state there are a number of new regulations regarding bullying as well as helping kids on the AS. You should check your DOE or BOE to find out what Florida has on the books. Is your child on an IEP? If so, you should request a TEAM meeting to discuss this bullying, the potential need to update his IEP in the area of communication/social as well as the possibility that he needs an aide during unstructured times to protect him. You should also file an official complaint about what is happening in the lunch room. This could be important if it happens again.

Again, I am not sure if your child is on an IEP. If his AS disabilities are impeding his progress in non- academics (social, communication) he can still qualify for an IEP and receive services in areas of need. IEP's are not only academic.

In the meantime - I am sorry this poor guy got caught up in this situation. It seems that the other kids should be punished as well. AND I hope that the school has their eye on them.