DYS DS8 just got his first detention of the year which is way earlier than usual. Kids were teasing him at lunch saying he's in a dream world, one took his lunch box and was holding it away from him. When DS went to grab it back, he hit the kid in the head accidentally. The kid went to the aide and said DS hit him. DS got detention, end of story.

The other kids can communicate rings around him. He never vocalizes a denial or rebuttal that has any effectiveness, yet his age-mates talk a good talk. They continued to taunt him as he was waiting for the principal to pick him up from the playground. When the principal got there, DS was standing there with his fists balled at his side fuming (but NOT screaming or flailing) and the fact that his fists were balled at his side was evidence to them that he was aggressive!

The next day, DH had an hour long meeting with the principal who claims her hands are tied with the punishment because he struck another child. Fine. But the taunting, teasing, bullying kids get no consequences? That's sad. In fact getting off the bus the day after the incident, the kid who my son hit ran up to him saying "I heard you got in a lot of trouble" (sing-song-y taunting voice). My husband is calling the principal again today, because I don't think we should let this rest.

My kid is quirky, there is no doubt that he IS in his own dream world of robots, computers, and dragons, but he shouldn't have to endure teasing and lunchbox stealing. This is a public school for the gifted, where all kids have to have 130 IQ to be there. Like I said, DS is a DYS who has no problems academically, but he is also socially lacking because of his 2e-ness of autism spectrum. He does have an IEP and we are having our yearly meeting on Sept. 30th. I'm bringing along his outside psychologist for support. Can bullying prevention be in the IEP?????

I don't know why I'm writing this, except I need a little friendly support and maybe advice as to how to approach this. I had previously posted about our attempts to get DS accelerated by one year at this school and it was denied even with Davidson "backing" and I feel like this incident is just another nail in our coffin!

Kate