Originally Posted by PipersMom
It's a bit ironic for us, she can quote things she's read word for word (close to photographic memory), but if I ask her to brush her teeth and wash her face, she almost always forgets one or the other.

This is my DS11 exactly. He has ADHD-in. He can memorize a poem in one reading, but with the face washing/tooth brushing/hair brushing trio, we're lucky if he does one out of three. He recently started meds for the ADHD and that has helped significantly.

I've been thinking alot about memory lately. My DS's working memory doesn't look too bad on the WISC (75 percentile or so). However, he struggles so much with things like bringing the right books home, remembering his bag and lunch in the morning, even putting on his shoes before going outside (he has been known to go down the street to his friends house in his socks). I'm not sure that this daily life distraction is related to WM. Maybe its more of a mental organization issue? I'm thinking about getting him a watch minder(a programmable watch that will vibrate and give you a short text message to remind you to do something). Has anybody tried that?

DS doesn't have problems holding information in his head long enough to do multi-step arithmetic with pretty good accuracy, which seems a clearer measure of WM.

Last edited by Verona; 09/12/11 08:09 PM.