I am not sure how schools would handle it these days. When I was skating, I had already skipped, and was still top of the class. I was 13 in grade 9, so as long as I maintained a top grade, they let me miss 50+ days a year.

A kid is not going to pursue anything to that degree without their own interest. My own child, who has a natural talent for piano, would love to take a hammer to it. Now I won't let her quit piano because I think it is a valuable thing to learn about music and to play, but we took her off the competitive track. She did like to perform when she was asked to do a concert showcase. But not enough to practice hours a day.

And I think it is valuable to push a child to do some regular activity. So they get used to moving their body, just like I expect her to read regularly. She loves to read, but she would rather watch Wizards of Waverly place or Ant Farm if she had an option. So it is a matter of degrees. How many here don't think to push their kid in some direction like a sport, but what if they want to watch tv or play video games instead? DH was not pushed into any sport since he was not naturally athletic and it is hard for him to maintain an exercise program. And when we do physical things, I am the one with DD. Even doing an adventure walk with the dog after dinner. I have to push him to do that. He reads a few books a week but you need balance.

Now this is a total digression. But I was also thinking about one of those boys who did the round the world sailing alone thing, trying to be the youngest and then lost the title a few months later. He was homeschooled, did his studies online while sailing alone around the world. And then I think got into Harvard.

And I was wrong about numbering the years of acceleration needed, since I had already skipped early and continued my math acceleration even with limited school attendance. But it seems, you can fill in a lot and help with habits. Not sure if I am clear here.

And yes, DD does have talent, though not to be a world class ballerina. Her pant size is one to two sizes smaller than her top. No way those hips are going to open up and let her leg line up her back. Choreography may be an option to her. Especially with her music talent. But I still see her heading to Wall Street. She was asking me about the inside of limos the other day when we passed one. Her science class at the museum has some kids with serious money. I went to a party at one home which was on Fifth ave, across from the museum and the elevator opened up on this huge apt overlooking Central Park. Although, I try and push values, I know that it is much nicer to go first class on a plane. Much, much nicer. And I miss it. And I can understand the desire to make money. As long as she learns the habits to work for what she wants. I try and teach her that they don't make you happy, but they can give you pleasure, like a massage or ice cream. They pass, but they sure are nice.