"So, how was it? Did your son like it? "

My DS11 participated in RMTS Summer Institute in Denver. We did the commuter option, stayed at the hotel for 2 weeks while he took two courses : Introduction to Geometry and Egyptology nad Hieroglyphs. Geometry was from 8:30 till 11:30, then lunch break , then Egyptology from 1:00 P.M til 4:00 P.M. Interestingly, RMTS requires the highest number of points of all the other talent searches (Duke and John Hopkins)in order to participate in summer program. Also, DS11 had the highest verbal and math score for boys in his state that participated in the talent search - it turned out he had the highest math score in his age group for the whole region. I am writing this not to brag but for you to understand the situation as best as possible.
After the first day of Summer Institute, he was OVERWHELMED. He got in the car and started quietly sobbing. The experience was so intense that he just could not handle it and had to cry (he does that easily when he gets overhelmed and thinks that he won't be able to be the best - perfectionism???) I started probing ever so gently and it turned out that math was not a problem but Egyptology was a different story. He did not see any logic to it, he had to learn how to take notes,had to memorize things, most of the kids in his class had been passionate about Egypt for a long time (not my son) and already heard about the info that was an absolute news to my son. I suggested that he might drop the course, but he would not hear about it. He perserveered. Almost every night he had between 2-3 hours of homework plus reading, weekend had been taken by two big projects (one from each class). He finished Geometry first in his class and was one of the best students in Egyptology - his power point presentation on Khafre Pyramid was voted the best by his peers. But was he happy doing all of it? I don't think he truly was. My son has learned over the years that everything comes easily and with little or no effort from him. RMTS Institute was a different story. He had to make an effort, the courses were very fast paced, he hardly had any free time, and being a perfectionist he studied hard because he did want to be the best. I think it was an extremely valuable lesson for him. Yes, he is very smart, but there are others like him out there. Maybe not in his immediate neighborhood, not in his school, but he is not the only one. But at the same time this thought has been comforting to him. He absolutely loved associating with his peers. They played D&D and my DS finally got to play with people that were able to understand and appreciate his efforts.
The instructors at the institute were great, this comes even from my son. And, amazingly, he wants to go back next year......
So yes, he studied very hard and was under a lot of stress for two weeks, but the rest of the summer was totally laid back, travelling in Europe, visiting family, reading, reading, reading....