Thanks for the quick replies; you all are the best.

Yes, he has an IEP in place. We looked, and the accommodations are generic enough that it doesn't specify a calculator is allowed, so the head of the special ed department is going to add an addendum to the IEP that specifies that he can use one.

The teacher's reasoning is that the kids can't use one on a specific state test that is given in the spring, so he should learn not to use one during the year. My point is that if he is spending 1 hour doing three problems because of his difficulties with doing the actual mechanics of the problem, he's not learning much of anything - except that he hates math and isn't good at it, two things I don't want him learning or believing.

I will also look into the option of getting tutoring through his IEP - hadn't considered that, so thanks for that suggestion. We'd backed off on all pull-out services during 5th grade, because his reading is now actually above grade level and he is able to keep up in the other classes such as science and history with only minor accommodations in class. He even learned to tie his shoes this summer (although bike riding is still something he's not willing to learn). Only two areas still seem to plague him at this point: his spelling remains abysmal and totally random and the math is a challenge.