It's been almost a year since I was a regular visitor to the forums, and it was because we had the best year last year - a sage, experienced teacher who was willing to accommodate our son with dysgraphia, give him creative assignments like producing podcast book reports that not only accommodated his challenges but challenged his strengths.

This year he has started midschool and has had the misfortune to land a teacher with a rigid rule that a child will not use a calculator for anything and will do work in his head on specific assignments. While we can (and will if necessary) wield the old IEP if need be, I am wondering if any of you have strategies for dealing with a rigid teacher who deals with over 100 students a day and isn't very motivated to be creative with yours.

I'm also wondering if any of you have invested in private tutoring for math and whether you used a regular service or found someone with some special ed training. Any advice on this would be so useful.

My kiddo gets the concepts just fine, but when it requires mechanics such as multiplication or division, he freezes. He logically knows how to do something but just cannot get past the block - and can't memorize the tables.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice you can give.