Do you have a homeschooling community locally and does your ds have a strong preference either way? My youngest is an extreme extrovert so, for her, homeschooling would require a reasonably active homeschooling group with whom we felt a reasonable social fit. On the other hand, she was so unhappy in school for a good chunk of elementary that she kept asking to be homeschooled even though we butted heads and she would have likely been lonely to an extent.

We did make homeschooling work well with my oldest for a while b/c the school fit, too, was really poor and not a reasonable option. We've also made public schools work with some significant acceleration but I also suspect that your ds is more advanced than my kids so he'd likely need more acceleration.

Lots of help I am! It sounds to me like you are leaning toward homeschooling. If you can make that work financially (i.e. -- you can stay home for some time and not work outside of the home) and find some social outlets for him, that sounds like a good idea to me. Perhaps when he gets to his pre-teen or teen years he can just move on to college courses.