Hi Trina,
I went back and read your posts ((hugs))
All the options you've outlined sound very reasonable, and there isn't much way to tell which one will work without - ug- trial and error.
If you can get a part time placement with more of a radical acceleration than before, then I think it's worth a try. I've seen that 'happy enough' and it is bitter when I realized just how gone the spark is.

As for agemates, I think that depends on a very high EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and would tend to reserve that until age 8 or so, depending on the child.

Originally Posted by Trina
We are at a place where we have to try to make decisions about DS and his education. He would start school in November here if he were going to go at all.

This is sad if it's 100% true. In the US things are quite flexible, with kids moving fluidly between private, public and homeschooling depending on their needs and their parents ability to use the alternatives. Do you think there is some kind of loophole possible on this point?

I've only afterschooled, never homeschooled, but I know a lot of happy homeschooling families. Is your son still writing?

Personally I think that the biggest variable is the actual classroom teacher. There are some real jewels out there, and if you can catch them then it might be worth the hassle.

Hugs,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com