I read about efforts at assimilation in Texas in the early 20th century; ouch! The schools could get quite mean to children who were caught speaking their native language (interestingly, they were after German immigrants, not Mexicans).

My eldest went to a French immersion school and speaks French like a native (albeit with a smaller vocabulary, but the accent is perfect and his grammar is excellent for his age level).

The school simply spoke to the kids in French and had extra bi-weekly classes for the ones who needed help. Everyone who finished more than about three years at that school had a fantastic grasp of the language, in spite of the fact that it wasn't the playground language, nor is it widely spoken in California.

The problem may be somewhat more challenging because we have so many Spanish speakers, but it's hard to say. At some point, though, there definitely has to be motivation in the home or in the student to learn the language well enough to succeed in the job market. Do any teachers here know how well the average immigrant student learns English after 6 or 12 years?

I like the idea of emphasizing the idea of citizenship in schools. It's important for every student to understand how the government works and the responsibilities of each citizen.