I was just thinking about the thread title and how now pre-k and even 3yr old pre-k are becoming so popular. � �I thought modern public grade school started up when everybody moved off the farms as a way to keep kids off the factory labor force and out of trouble. �That was just my vague impression. �More people are going to college now and staying longer. �Well, more kids went to grade school full-time back in the years machinery replaced so many hands on the farm. �Now the new electronics are replacing machinery. �Now we are into micro-biology and micro-physics and globalization and global warming:.,' eight hrs. a day of study for 30 yrs. a piece?! Nice.

Val, that was beautiful.
Originally Posted by Val
Technology is a wonderful thing, but we need to ground ourselves in philosophy and history and many other areas in order to understand how we (as individual societies and as a species) tend to react to events and how we deal with change and other important things.�

I suppose I'm arguing in favor of what I've called thoughtfulness in another thread. Philosophy, great works of literature and art, history, and other areas of the humanities play a huge role in that respect.

�

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar