Kriston, I just read your PM, thank you! I'm going to respond to you in a little bit.

OHGrandma, that is one of my worries. In our state, the law says that if we homeschool, we submit nothing until the school year in which our child turns 8yo during the first 2 weeks of the academic school year. With a late fall birthday, that puts us into 2008-2009SY for filing our first set of paperwork. The affadavit goes into the district at the start of the year.

We don't turn in any completed work samples until June 2009. I'm fairly certain that by that point, our DS will have completed Alg I, Geometry, and most of Alg II, along with 2-3 years of high school English, History and Spanish. So for math, his portfolio samples will probably be pages of trig problems. I just know that we're going to be called in for a meeting. That is one of many reasons why we got private IQ/achievement testing done last fall; since his achievement test showed mostly GEs in the 11th/12th grades, I can always pull them out if I'm questioned. Hopefully we won't get the third degree.

It's so nice to be able to chat here and not feel like a crazy person. I don't know anyone in real life who is dealing with anything like my situation.

Tara