I dont' know if MAP testing is within your district's budget, but I think it has potential to help every student. It can then be used to help gifted kids by 'micro-grouping' kids who share a readiness to learn level in a particular area and allowing the teachers to teach a narrower band of readiness and make greater gains for every child.

Of course this will sound like tracking, which is bad politically, to take pains to stress that you are talking about small specific groups that a formed for each learning unit and reformed frequently. Lots of schools use the MAP test 2x/year so the kids will get reshuffled if they have a burst in their learning. The sad thing about tracking is the fear that if a child is misidentified too low that he'll never be able to catch up with all the extra learning that the other kids have done.

Also check out:
Twelve Cost Effective Educational Options for Serving Gifted ...

... Twelve Cost Effective Educational Options for Serving Gifted Students. Printer
Friendly Version. Print. Davidson Institute for Talent ...
www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10363.aspx - 30k - 2010-02-17

At the very least, insist that kids are tested to their ability level not just to age level, as in reading grouping, and that kids be grouped 'cross -grade' in reading and math as needed.

'Block scheduling' so that every child is doing Math at the same time facilitates children going to the rooms where they are able to learn and thrive.

Do you want me to be availible for back up during the discussion?
Smiles,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com