I live in a large metropolitan area, but the actual city school district is not huge and is historically one of the worst performing school systems in the nation. That said, our DS6 attends the local public elementary school and, for the most part, it is good, but there is NOTHING for advanced (GT) kids. ( I asked our principal for a grade skip and was turned down.)

I just happen to live around the corner from a member of the school board, and I was recently introduced to her at a social gathering. I asked her if the School Board had ever contemplated addressing gifted education in the city, and she said the topic had recently come up. After giving her my humble opinion, she wants to have lunch with me and asked that I bring research on gifted education and names of potential experts to speak to the school board on this very issue! I am very excited.

I have assembled "A Nation Deceived", and excerpts from Deborah Ruf's "5 Levels of Giftedness". I would love links to other articles that address a need for something different to be done with these advanced learners. I can't decide if I should just push for something (anything!) to be done with gifted students, or should I present a plan for addressing the needs of these students in a low cost way, ie. Iowa Acceleration Scale. Our district has little money and what is here is spent on underachieving children (understandably).

I would love to hear thoughts on what some of you might have done in the past in dealing with a school board, or what you would do if given the chance.

Thanks! Eleanor05