Hello all,

My DS11 recently had a full neuro-psychological exam, to follow up on a questionable NVLD diagnosis.

He has now got a new diagnosis that I am more comfortable with: ADHD-primarily inattentive, mild depression and "yellow flags" for oppositional behavior. The neuro-psych. thinks that his attention difficulties are significant enough to warrant a medication trial with a stimulant.

My problem is that there are only two weeks left at school (and in fact they seem to be winding down already). Our paediatrician thinks we should wait until fall to try, once he's back in school, but I'm not so sure. The fall is an important time for him (standardized tests for HS admission) so I don't want to be fooling around with his mood and attention during that time.

Have any of you tried medication trials over the summer? Should I/he be able to tell if its helping when he's not at school? He does have a lot of attention issues at home (tooth brushing, leaving doors open and such), so my feeling is that we should be able to see the difference, but I'm not sure.