I have this feeling that we will end up hs'ing anyways, so part of me wants to just start with k. There is also part if me that feels like I should give school a chance. I've posted about our school situation before, But here is the cliff's notes: ds4.5 just finished his first year of Montessori. It wasn't a good fit, as much as I truly wanted it to be, because I love the Montessori methods. He is accepted into a gifted charter for kindergarten next year. He would be early enrolling, he is not supposed to start until fall 2012. My apprehensions with the school are the following. It is full day, and that scares me for my not yet 5 DS. He will turn 5 in November. I'm afraid he won't have the stamina. Another concern is the class size, There will be 24 kids in each K class, one teacher, no aides.I know that a good teacher can handle this, but I would much rather the class size be smaller obviously. DS also has multiple food allergies, and their policy is that he would need to sit alone for lunch. They are willing to have him choose a friend to sit with, but I worry that no one will want to. It may sound silly, but I know it would crush him.

I contemplated keeping him home for another year and sending him on time, but the psych and the school feel that if I do that, he will need to skip K, which would not be ideal for adjusting into school, and I can see their point.

I think that he would thrive homeschooling, but I have all those natural worries about socializing and the implications of not having a typical school experience. (which I guess is likely to happen anyways. :)) plus, i feel like should use the gifted charter since it is available. They are supposed to be really good about ability grouping, and acceleration. They will put kids in different grades for different subjects, and I know that's really hard to come by. Just for a frame of reference, I'm thinking he is a level 3 or 4 on ruf's scale, his wppsi was verbal:147 performance: 129 full scale: 139. You need a 127 to get into this school, im not sure where most of the students fall as far as their LOG.

(disclaimer, I typed th is on my iPad, please do not judge me based on spelling and punctuation lol!)

Last edited by Amber; 05/30/11 08:50 AM.

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.