As I was putting DS7 to bed, we had a little chat about next year. He is currently in a great-fit school situation, in a 2nd grade class at a school for HG kids after a grade skip. The plan is for him to stay at the same school through 5th, when the program ends, so he'll probably be with most of the same kids throughout. I asked DS7 if he was excited that he'd be moving to 3rd grade with the same kids. He said he'd rather go to an easy school, because they're currently doing 3rd grade work in his class, so if he went to the easy school he'd already know everything next year, and then he'd be happy.

Just got me thinking that if he hadn't had such a breeze of it in kindergarten and the first half of second (before the transfer to his current school), he wouldn't even know that sitting in class daydreaming (his fave activity) was an option. Of course, this is surely also related to my little one's perfectionism and not liking to try new things unless he's sure he can do them, but I just wanted to share that I'm glad that we figured out a few things while he's still young.