I'm interested to hear about your opinions on class size and accomodations/acceleration in non-gifted schools. DD 8.5 is just finishing grade 3 at a small school. Her current class has 19 students. Though they have 'talked the talk', very little has been done in terms of acceleration or differentiation of work for her. The staff at the current school are lovely but it has been a disappointing year. Today, I went to the school in the area we have recently moved into and met with the principal. He is young and enthusiastic and very excited to meet her. He really wants her to transfer for the last month of school so they can get to know her. The kicker is that, based on current numbers, there will be one grade 4 class next year with 32 students. My stomach sunk when he told me this. I am taking her for a tour later this week.

On one hand, a friend teaches at this school and raves about it (her son is autistic and attends this school as well, so she has two different perpsectives). On the other, I cannot help but wonder what will happen to my unmotivated, inattentive ADD child who thinks school is just a waste of time anyway. Now we are second guessing our decision to move her. Or maybe we need to start checking out private schools. I mean, hey, my kid is worth selling a kidney for, right? Feeling a little frustrated right now. Thanks for listening.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery