I saw a story online recently about an autistic kid who ran afoul of the regulations and was kicked out of track and field just when he had discovered he was great at it. The problem was that he had been "in the high school" for five years (he is 19 and a senior now) although it was claimed that he did not "take high school classes" during the earlier year. Sports regulations do not allow competition by five-year students.

Now all was not made clear to me in the story, but I have been wondering if this might be a problem for some of us who will (or do) have kiddos taking high school classes from elementary or middle school. Of course, they probably won't be in high school at 19, but that didn't seem to be the catalyst.

I think it's a safe bet that my DS will not be worrying about competitive sports, but it could well cause a problem for other activities such as Knowledge Bowl, etc. Does anybody have any insight into this issue?

Edited to add:
Here is a link to a version of the story (not the precise one I read earlier, but the same story for the most part): Story

This is a Canadian incident, but I know there are similar regulations in schools in the US.

Last edited by Nautigal; 05/08/11 04:00 PM. Reason: found story