Hi DeeDee.

Thank you very much for sharing your approach. I feel like have pretty much tried everything (including involving the head of g/t for the entire district). The g/t teacher has received lots of tips and info, and was encouraged to attend a workshop on Asperger Syndrome, which she agreed to do. But in the end she did not show up. She was "too busy." So it seems very much that she does not want to know. My guess is she is hoping she can find enough reasons to have my son eventually removed from her g/t program.

I feel like this is a "top down" type problem in our school. The principal is not supportive or progressive and therefore neither are the teachers. Our special education teachers do not regularly work with gifted kids--there is probably no more than one child like my son in each individual elementary school here--so even they are untrained and of little help.

I feel that our IEP is not being followed. For example, the IEP states that my son is to receive paraprofessional support in the classroom. But when he is pulled for g/t, the para from the classroom does not go with him. Isn't that a violation of the IEP? Or does "classroom" in the IEP only refer to "general education classroom" and not things like art, music, g/t? Regardless, I'm not sure it makes much difference. The para is completely untrained as well.