#1 - go and plant your backside in a few different age group rooms at both school. Observe what the readiness level is of the kids at each school. Observe what do the teachers do when they don't know something, or -gasp- are caught being wrong by one of the students. What about when a student is making 'off topic' remarks and questions where you see the connection but the teach doesn't - does the signal to the class that little Alfred is always 'off in the clouds' and doesn't need to be heard? Or does the teacher have some respectful way to get the class back on track? Or does the teacher get Alfred into a classroom where we will have peers who are real peers and can learn from his question?

Just because the charter school says it's for gifted kids, doesn't mean it will be a good fit for your gifted kid. You have to observe the classrooms and see what is exactly going on in there.

It sounds like the half day program is good for your DD's physical stamina right now, can you move to the charter later after she grows up a bit?

I wouldn't worry about the lack of PE, Music, etc, because with the gift of time, you can do that easily on your own, and do so in a way that allows her to be with agemates, if that turns out to be a good thing. Assuming that you have the kind of worklife that can work around a heavy chauffeur role. Also, I'm assuming that other kids who attend the school have found ways to fill in the gaps and you can make a carpool with some of them.

I love the idea of local and short - just eyeball both schools and make sure you are speaking the same language - so often when dealing with schools one hears all the right words, but comes to find out that those words have totally different meaning in the minds of the speakers. So a school tour isn't enough.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com