Hi all,

I post sometimes about my intense/sensitive DD3.5. We had a weird experience today that I thought I'd post about just to see if anyone had experienced something similar? We were at a birthday party for a girl in her class at a children's art center and my DD was the first girl there. DD had been to the art center one time before. DD and the birthday girl were delighted to see each other and were playing, but when the woman from the art center who was helping out (who DD didn't know) came over and tied an apron on DD and rolled up DD's sleeves, DD started crying and begging to be picked up and told me she was afraid of the woman (a friendly grandmother type). She got over it and had a great time at the party with the other kids in her class, but avoided this woman like the plague the whole time. She's done this before with adults throughout her life. Is it just stranger anxiety? She did have extremely early (before 5 months, pointed out by her pediatrician) and prolonged/intense stranger anxiety as a baby/toddler and was slow adjusting to her two preschools. The weird thing is she's very social (not shy) and is the first kid to go up to other (even older) kids at the park and invite them to play and she's popular with the other kids at preschool (and cuddly with the teachers) despite being the youngest. Her main interest at preschool is playing with the other kids. And sometimes she starts talking to adult strangers and has fun. But, like I said, she was slow to adjust to new preschools both times before she wound up loving them. I just can't figure it out, it's such a weird mix. I wish I knew what set her off. If she was just a shy kid, I feel like I could understand it better, but she's not. And it's so embarrassing because she's so loud! smile Will she outgrow this? Of course, she was also the only kid at the party who smeared paint all over her body and face, so I should probably be used to her differences by now. smile