Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #216489 05/18/15 06:01 PM
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    So today I asked DS10 school for his full transcript and ITBS testing since 1st grade. I requested it for the IQ test he will do with a psychologist on Wednesday. He has always scored in 98-99% on the ITBS and scored well on both sections of the SCAT so he attends CTY camps. I was looking over the school testing and saw that he took the Cogat last year in 3rd grade!?!? I had absolutely no clue and honestly the stanine score is 7 so he scored well below his norm. I can't help but be annoyed that I had no idea that he was taking this test. What if he wasn't feeling great or didn't sleep well or skipped breakfast? I had no idea he was even taking it so I have no clue about his situation that day. Is it normal to do a pop Cogat test on a kid and not inform the parents? Thanks so much for any feedback.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Heard back from his school and all of 3rd grade took it at the same time they were taking the Iowa Assessment. Seems like testing overload to me but mYbe this is normal.

E
    E
    Our school did CogAT testing on all the first graders, and the teacher forgot (maybe "forgot," but I don't think so) to mention it to parents until after the fact.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Often routine CogAT testing is done in conjunction with the ITBS.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    Our district had all parents sign a consent form and it was a condition of being potentially identified as gifted. So--no CogAT, then no g/t identification or placement, but they do look at outside testing if a parent requests it.

Our district views it as an IQ test...so that is probably why (I'm not saying that it is, but they even use the CogAT in spec. ed evaluations).

L
    L
    Someone I know in a different district than my own said their school gives the CogAT with the ITBS, but they don't share the results to parents. I suggested she request to see the results as is her right, but she's content to let the school determine her daughter's needs are being met. Personally, that child seems GT to me (reading years ahead from early age, given challenge math) and I'd be way more involved, but to each her own.

A
    A
    I would be irritated. They gave him a test without you knowing about it and didn't give you the results automatically.

Our district does automatically give cogat and nnat results, but does not give us their district assessment results unless you ask the teacher. Some are even reluctant to give out those scores. If my child has to take a bunch of tests, I want to know how he does on them.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM