Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: LuluBell Random Cogat testing - 05/19/15 01:01 AM
So today I asked DS10 school for his full transcript and ITBS testing since 1st grade. I requested it for the IQ test he will do with a psychologist on Wednesday. He has always scored in 98-99% on the ITBS and scored well on both sections of the SCAT so he attends CTY camps. I was looking over the school testing and saw that he took the Cogat last year in 3rd grade!?!? I had absolutely no clue and honestly the stanine score is 7 so he scored well below his norm. I can't help but be annoyed that I had no idea that he was taking this test. What if he wasn't feeling great or didn't sleep well or skipped breakfast? I had no idea he was even taking it so I have no clue about his situation that day. Is it normal to do a pop Cogat test on a kid and not inform the parents? Thanks so much for any feedback.
Posted By: LuluBell Re: Random Cogat testing - 05/19/15 05:22 PM
Heard back from his school and all of 3rd grade took it at the same time they were taking the Iowa Assessment. Seems like testing overload to me but mYbe this is normal.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Random Cogat testing - 05/19/15 05:23 PM
Our school did CogAT testing on all the first graders, and the teacher forgot (maybe "forgot," but I don't think so) to mention it to parents until after the fact.
Posted By: aeh Re: Random Cogat testing - 05/19/15 05:34 PM
Often routine CogAT testing is done in conjunction with the ITBS.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Random Cogat testing - 05/19/15 07:20 PM
Our district had all parents sign a consent form and it was a condition of being potentially identified as gifted. So--no CogAT, then no g/t identification or placement, but they do look at outside testing if a parent requests it.

Our district views it as an IQ test...so that is probably why (I'm not saying that it is, but they even use the CogAT in spec. ed evaluations).
Posted By: longcut Re: Random Cogat testing - 05/19/15 07:32 PM
Someone I know in a different district than my own said their school gives the CogAT with the ITBS, but they don't share the results to parents. I suggested she request to see the results as is her right, but she's content to let the school determine her daughter's needs are being met. Personally, that child seems GT to me (reading years ahead from early age, given challenge math) and I'd be way more involved, but to each her own.
Posted By: Appleton Re: Random Cogat testing - 05/20/15 05:03 AM
I would be irritated. They gave him a test without you knowing about it and didn't give you the results automatically.

Our district does automatically give cogat and nnat results, but does not give us their district assessment results unless you ask the teacher. Some are even reluctant to give out those scores. If my child has to take a bunch of tests, I want to know how he does on them.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum