Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I would be so grateful if some of you would please take a look at this and help me figure this out.

Our six year old daughter's test scores for the WJIII just arrived. We are homeschooling, but she would be just finishing out her kindergarten year if she were in public school.

I have a question about a possible calculation error in her broad reading. Will you please help me?

Her overall GIA (cognitive) is 136. Her fluid reasoning subtest is 160, her comprehension knowledge is 131, but the other categories are significantly lower.

Her total achievement is 123, with her highest subtest being Broad Reading, with a score of 137.

***Here is my question. I am hoping there is a typo or calculation error here, because it appears to me that they took the lowest cluster/test and made that the overall score for Broad Reading. On the other portions of the WJ-III, the broad category scores were higher than the subcategory scores.

My reason for hoping for a higher score is that this is the best hope for her to apply to the YS program, since a score of 145 in broad reading would make her eligible.

Broad Reading SS 137, 99th percentile
    Letter-word Identification SS 143, 99.8 percentile
    Passage Comprehension SS 137, 99 percentile
    Reading Fluency SS 140, 99.6 percentile

Thank you for any help or insight you might have on this section of the test.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Dottie, thank you for your help.

They did not give me the printout of the raw scores. I sent the tester an email requesting the printout.

What does the new scaling do on WJ-III? I saw it mentioned,but could not find the discussion explaining it.

Thank you.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Hi, here is the discussion Dottie had around the wackiness of the scores for my daughter. She was also 6 when tested on the WJ-III.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....321/Quick_WJ_III_question.html#Post75321

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Wow, thank you, I just read that thread.

Do the folks over at WJ-III know about this glitch?

And Dottie, is there any way that you can crunch our broad reading numbers for me the way you did for Mam?

How would I go about asking the tester to adjust these?

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you so much, Dottie. I know from observing her that she has special needs. I am having her evaluated for autism this Friday by a neuropyschologist, since her speech therapist suggested asperger's or PDD-NOS.

The neuropsychologist usually does the WISC-IV. I was going to wait for the results of the WJ-III before asking for additional IQ testing.

I do not know what LOG and WIAT are, but I will look around to find out.

Again, thank you for crunching those numbers.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    LOG = level of giftedness, ranging from moderately gifted to profoundly gifted.

WIAT is another very commonly used achievement test.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    OK, I will ask for the WISC-IV, especially because one of the local schools we are considering only accepts WISC-IV for admissions (which seems odd).

Thank you for your advice.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    I just thought of another question about the fluid reasoning score of 160. What does this score look like in real life, in terms of our day to day interactions with our daughter?

Also, the tester said she ran out of questions on this subtest and could not go further. Would there be another test with a higher ceiling on this subtest?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM