Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #201389 09/19/14 04:03 AM
    J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all -
    I just don't know what to do with my 14 year old son's emotional swings. Here is the current issue: he's a HS Freshman, talented musician. He was recruited at the last minute to fill a hole in the school Marching Band. Lots of kids he knows and likes in this group. So far, 4 of the 5 games he's come home at 10:30 or 11, simply sobbing, practically hysterical. His complaints are often very minor/vague, and often the next day he'll admit it "wasn't so bad." When I've talked about trying to quit, he doesn't want to, and says he "mostly" is having fun.

The time commitment is big - 3 days a week for 2 hours after school for practice, then games every week through end October. Sometimes he'll come home sobbing and wailing after practices too. And I mean sobbing and wailing and just miserable, loudly, filling the house with misery.

This is not a new thing. He has been like this his entire life, with extremes of emotion. On the plus side, when he is happy that emotion is also big and fills our house. He's also always been a kid who needed lots and lots of unscheduled time, and introverted and needing lots of time on his own - so this busy schedule is a real stretch for him. But the huge sobbing outbursts had gotten so much less frequent in recent years - and now suddenly they happen 2-3 times per week!

It's like he just gets emotionally exhausted by the 5-6 hours of being "on" at the game. But from what he says he is thoroughly enjoying it nearly the entire time he is there. I love the fact that he's making social connections with some great kids. (He has one very good friend, and several other pretty good connections, but socially has always tended to choose solitary pursuits for most of his free time.)

The dramatic misery is making the whole household upset/unbalanced. I don't know how to help him unwind without the sobbing. Or even if it's possible. He practically makes himself hysterical. (Sigh.) Ok, again positive - he has started trying to tell me some positive things through his sobbing. He's trying to show me that he is having fun. But when he gets home, he's just so miserable. He's also a kid who likes to go to bed early, so getting home at 11:00 is another stretch.

So I have two big concerns:
    1) Is there some way to help him come home - late, when he's tired out - and unwind without the sobs? (The sobs often start in the car, btw.)
    2) I think overall this is a positive experience for him. I want him to be able to do things like this in his life, even if it is a big time commitment for a couple of months. I worry that he will just never engage because he needs SO much down time! I want him to feel successful and positive about this experience. Blah.

He's older now - just turned 14. It's harder to talk to most of my friends about sobbing meltdowns than when he was 4! Oh - I should also say that he is a fabulous kid overall - successful in school, mature and well-spoken, well liked by teachers, and really liked pretty well by his fellow students as far as I can tell, even if he is not close with most of them.

Does anyone else have sobbing teen boys? Or ways they've helped said sobbing teen boys?

Thanks!

K
    K
    I have a ds12 who has been emotional for most of his life, so I know how draining it can be as a parent.

That said, the frequency of sobbing would concern me. Do you know the cause? Could it be depression? Is it fatigue?

Last edited by KADmom; 09/19/14 04:50 AM.
    N
    N
    The crying could be a release of everything, the noise, the concentration, the crush of people, all pretty intense for an introvert even though it's fun. Our band will let you bring your student home after halftime, though most stay, it is great for kids who have activities the next morning. Ccan you do that? Sounds like your band goes to away games, too; could your son just play home games?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I would be a bit concerned about the onset of a mood disorder as well (this is the prime age for that), especially where you are describing a history of emotional lability which tapered in latency age, and now is starting up again in early adolescence.

At the same time, I have a very exuberant child as well, who, although effervescently happy the vast majority of the time, is very clearly triggered to irrational tears by fatigue, hunger, and illness--any kind of physical discomfort. Have you tried an afternoon nap before games?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    22B Offline
    Although the description makes it strongly sound like there's an internal cause, watch out for possible external causes like bullying.

S
    S
    I would be concerned about this, too, unless he has other diagnosed disabilities that would contribute to the meltdowns.

First-- could he be hungry? Low blood sugar? Can you bring a good snack and tell him to eat before he says anything to you about the night?

I would also give him some stress relief techniques-- tell him he can take deep breaths, he can visualize all the happy things that happened that day, he can visualize a happy, calm place, he can make a gratitude list-- all in efforts to prevent the meltdowns.

But honestly, I would not put up with that behavior one more night. I realize you like the social experiences he has. But controlling his emotions is probably more important at his age.

I would tell him if he does it again, he's done with band. Period. He's not allowed to rile up the entire family with that kind of behavior. What has the normal consequence of that been throughout his life? I think you might be surprised that he has more control over his behavior than you think-- if he realizes there's a strong consequence.

I also think you might want to consider a counselor who can help him with his emotions, and to help your family help him.

D
    D
    Hazing?

edited to add: just google high school marching band hazing...

Last edited by deacongirl; 09/19/14 06:13 AM.
    A
    A
    How well do you know the adults running the program? How does your DS feel about the program organizers?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you all for your responses! I should emphasize that this really isn't unlike him. And we traditionally have a very hard transition into the school year. For a few years he saw a therapist just at beginning of the school year to help with the transition. For years I felt like he verged on clinical depression, listless, not smiling, from August through September...but then by October he'd get into the routine and have a great and happy school year. He puts a lot of pressure on himself, and always has trouble getting into the routine of schoolwork - and certainly entering high school doesn't help. He has not wanted to see the therapist again in recent years - and last school year was actually a fabulous transition, but he was an 8th grader and very secure and well established at the middle school.

In some ways this year is better than some years we've had in the past. He has the meltdowns, but usually recovers within 30-45 minutes, and often is fine and happy after that. In fact, even last night he pointed out to me how quickly he had recovered from the sobs into smiles.

NotherBen, I think you are right on about the release. That said, though, I think I will check in again with him on the therapist and see if he wants to go back.

I was also thinking that it might help if I got more proactive about the situation. I'm thinking about yes, syoblrig, telling him this is not working for our family. Now, he doesn't respond well to threats (like saying do it again and you're done with band) - but he does do well with interaction and conversation and planning together. So tell him we need to come up with a plan to help him unwind without the meltdown. Maybe one part could be me bringing a good treat/snack in the car - a banana muffin or something - for him to eat right away. (Yes, I think blood sugar plays a role! But sometimes he claims he doesn't want to eat when he gets home!) Then figure out a definite plan for when we get home - for example, I don't want to hear ANYTHING about the evening - because at that point all he can say is the bad stuff - but we will sit and, oh, watch 1/2 hour of Mythbusters on Netflix, or play a round of cards, or something else that he would look forward to.

We've talked periodically through the years about depression and suicide and his emotional extremes, and finding tools and making plans to deal with the down times. I feel the time slipping by - soon he is out of my house. I'd like to see this as an opportunity to help him find strategies to deal with busy-ness and stress. No matter what he does, there will be times in his life where he is busy and has a lot of demands on his time - and that he doesn't get enough sleep or misses a meal. How can he plan to unwind or cope in a healthy way?

I think one of my hang-ups is that I know sometimes crying can be a good release, and sometimes he will say "I just need to cry." I don't want to buy into the "boys don't cry" mindset. Maybe it's the best thing for him, and I just need to not let myself get sucked into the drama and let him do it on his own. On the other hand, sometimes it just goes too far, and I feel like he's making himself more upset.

Ugh. I appreciate suggestions, and input - and stories of other emotional kiddos! If we hold true to pattern, by early to mid October he will be finally transitioned, and doing much better...but that feels about a million years away...

J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    aquinas - the adults are great - one he knows well from years back, another new one but he likes him a lot.

I really don't suspect hazing or bullying. I know it happens all the time...but we've talked a lot about that in the past, and he's never been shy about telling me when bad things are happening at school with other kids. Though it's always good to keep in mind.

I really think it's just his release. But it's exhausting!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM