Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Just wanted to update all you folks who encouraged me ! I spoke with my daughters montessori teacher and at first my DD resisted reading with her and the teacher stopped trying right away and I told her no hurry ! Then after a week she tried again and this time she is convinced DD can read very well ! Now my daughter is reading the short u sound books.

They are also giving her lot of other exercises like matching the words and pictures etc. The teacher tells me she is doing well.

Reading keeps DD occupied and I haven't done anything related to math with her all this month.She is also learning to write numbers in school and alhabets at home. She likes it a lot !

J
    J
    Originally Posted by no5no5
    Originally Posted by gargi
    I am worried at the same time. I don't want her to skip grade when she is in school and be with older kids.

I think you should try to keep an open mind and remember that whatever accommodations your DD may need in school, they aren't going to be because of something you did or didn't do at 2. If she is going to need a grade skip, no amount of holding back is going to prevent it. If she isn't, no amount of pushing will cause it. smile

I agree. And take each moment as it comes instead of worrying about what will happen down the line.

My son was grade skipped from K to 1. The biggest issue against it from the school (who was the one recommending it) was that he would not be able to drive when his friends do due to age. My response was we will cross that bridge when we get to it. And we will. But right now, we have to do what is right for DS6. And I thought he was not socially ready at all, but the school convinced me otherwise... kids act different at home than they do at school. So to the OP, good luck, and take it one step at a time!

Talking to other parent I've found will just leave you feeling more isolated! Of course, the caviat to this is that, talking to parents on this forum will help A LOT!

My daughter is now in Kindergarten and began reading close the the age of yours. All I can say...is you can't hold back a race horse! They just love to run!

I went through a, I'm not going to give her anymore, so she can't get to far ahead phase before school! Suffice it to say, these kids have plans of their own and are hard to stop. She's had "quieter" periods, but she's still a race horse!

Hang on mom! You are going for a ride!!! wink

Oh, and I forgot...I'm a worrier myself and I can certainly give this advice. All the worrying in the world won't help, cause you are just going to have to adjust over time. She'll change rapidly and school may have to be a very "fluid" sort of thing adapting with her needs.

And ENJOY! She'll will be a pleasure to learn with!

Last edited by crazydaisy; 04/29/10 06:55 AM.
    S
    S
    Sounds like you are doing a great job with your daughter. It is all about following their lead. I used to feel weird buying my DS5 things that were somewhat academically based, but he loves that stuff and that is what makes him happy. One day he told me "some people think spiderman is fun, but to me Math is REALLY fun" and his eyes lights up when he talks about it. We still do lots of other stuff and he has other interests of course that aren't purely academic, but that is what he is driven towards. Our DS5 was reading at 19 months (self taught obviously...we had no clue he could read and it really freaked us out). We just had books around and he read...can't really stop that. With my DD2 (turning three in a couple months) she is showing signs that she will start reading soon. This is strange to us because DS didn't show signs, he just started reading. DD knows all her letters and recognizes a couple words and when she talks she will say things like "I want a buh-buh-bagel for buh-buh-breakfast....those both start with B" she is very into letters lately and pointing to things and asking me what they say. We aren't doing anything about it other than answering her questions and reading with her because she likes books a lot. Not much else to do. I imagine she will be reading at 3.

As to worrying about the future, I would try not to do that (easier said then done). It is not at all productive. We were worried a lot with DS and things are going pretty well now. I still have times when I worry a little but he is who he is and we love him. We had DS in a montessori school for pre-k (just 3 half-days a week) and then he skipped K and went to first. Honestly, K was never even a consideration for us. It just wasn't a good fit, socially emotionally or academically. first is not a fit academically either, but they are making accomodations and differentiating and we are going to try to get by without more skips...but we may have to in the future if he is miserable. One day at a time : ) Good luck!

G
    G
    Hi! I'm brand new here, since we just got our YS acceptance notice for my 5 year old son this week. smile

I'm enjoying this thread because my younger son is 26 months today, and also just started reading sight words/early sentences on his own. Since I homeschool my older one, little one hasn't gotten nearly as much one-on-one time, so I have to give a lot of credit to Leapfrog fridge magnets and Baby Tad. (LOL!) My older one also taught himself at 2, and I had the same emotions you do. The advice here is wonderful!

I have two cents (or 2 pieces of advice) to share from my limited experience:

First, encourage that reading! Reading opens up a world for them that nothing else can. Their language, education, pleasure time and time to relax, imagination and sharing experiences with peers, etc etc are all benefited from becoming proficient readers. (Not only that, but let them read by themselves in bed for 15 minutes at night, and bedtime becomes so much easier!)

Second, please don't follow my steps and waste too much time and worry about the future. With my 5 year old, I spent years worrying about acceleration, private schools, etc. We enrolled him in traditional preschool, but also filled days with countless enrichment activities and field trips (music, art, zoo and nature classes, sports, library, etc., and of course playgroups), and he learned so much more than any accelerated regular classroom while spending that time with family and friends and having constant fun.

We chose to enter him in regular kindergarten for the first semester, and again we had to worry about acceleration (which the school encouraged), differentiation, etc. Then, a completely foreign solution came to us with homeschooling, which is very popular here in suburban NorCal w/ GT children. We are with a charter school that embraces his PG, he is able to study at his appropriate grade levels in each subject (plus study "out" instead of just "up" with latin, arts, history...), and he is constantly socializing with a mix of academic/age peers through workshops and co-ops. Never ever in those thousand sleepless nights did I come up with this solution, but my worries were answered.

My long-rambling point is that I recommend all moms of GT toddlers/preschoolers embrace what they give us, enjoy every moment, and don't worry about the future because the right option will be there when you need it.

I look forward to "talking" with everyone more! smile

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    A
    A
    Hi Gratefulmom - Do you have any ideas of fun places to visit in the area? I'm from Sacto myself and feel kind of disheartened by not finding much for the family. We're limited in drive time, so I suppose that may be part of it. Would you feel comfortable replying in PM so we don't hijack the thread?

asdgestalt.com - An autism and psychology discussion forum.
    G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Originally Posted by adhoc
    Hi Gratefulmom - Do you have any ideas of fun places to visit in the area? I'm from Sacto myself and feel kind of disheartened by not finding much for the family. We're limited in drive time, so I suppose that may be part of it. Would you feel comfortable replying in PM so we don't hijack the thread?

I visited the blog you are writing I think it's wonderful ! I also have blog but never dared to discuss my daughter on there. I tried to find follow the blog link on your blog couldn't find it.

G
    gargi Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Now my DD is done with second set of phonics practice readers.But the reason I wanted to post here today is to discuss early writing skills. She can now write all uppercase and lower case letters. Spell all 3 letter words and write them by herself.

I didn't see anyone discussing the early writing skills.....Tell me about what's happening in your house so I can learn from it. So before my DD is age three she is reading and writing smile

Her teacher also thinks DD is very smart and has never seen such a great memory at such an early age.

Thanks everyone for all the insights and help you keep giving me.

Hi Gargi, I have two dd's 7 & 5. The 5yr old is the one that loves to write and draw. At 3 she wrote short stories and drew pictures then had me staple them together so she would have a book. I put the first one she made in her baby book, it's called "Pink Cat" about 10 pages long and has 3-4 words on each page with her drawings on in.

When she started doing this I purchased Scolastic writing books for her. I also like American Education Publishing "the complete book of Handwriting" K-3. I have to make sure she always has paper available to write and draw with (if not she will seek out something to write on,lol) At 5 she writes well and neatly,well above grade level. She also loves to write in a journal.

hope that helps, best wishes with your little one. smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM